5.3.11

Vendredi






This morning, the students and I all attended classes with our French hosts. One of their four classes was fencing lessons. The fencing teacher at the school happens to be the coach for the National French team as well as one of the organizers for the Olympics fencing competitions. So, I'd say he's pretty good at fencing. The kids enjoyed his instruction and having the opportunity to scream "en garde"!

Other classes included French, history, math, Spanish, and English. When we all reconvened, they had a lot to say about the differences between St. Jean and Country Day. Most notably, the students don't change classes, but stay in the same room, and the teachers come to them. I was not a fan of that system at all, as I was constantly following Fabienne up and down stairs to different rooms. Because the students are already in the room, when the teacher enters, the students stand up, say hello, and then sit after the teacher sits. I told our kids that we definitely had to start that tradition at Country Day! One freshman boy smiled and said, "No one would do that." Another difference was that the French teachers lectured a lot and the students took notes. In the language classes it was more interactive, and our kids were impressed at the difficult vocabulary they learn in English-for instance the words dilapidated and old haunt. They also enjoyed participating in a skit where they were the French person wanting to immigrate to America, and the French were trying to convince them otherwise. (This is because they are studying Ellis Island and immigration to America in English class) This was amusing because of the reasons they gave to go to America. As Antonio said, "We have football, hamburgers, and Megan Fox." And the French retort was "Our food is better." But Fabienne and I noticed that the French students did not give very convincing arguments to stay in France and not to immigrate. This is probably because they all want to visit the United States. As Sam struggled to help his partner come up with reasons not to go to the US, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I honestly can't think of any reasons you wouldn't want to go."

After lunch at school, we headed off to the Arc de Triomphe and free time on the Champs Elysees. The woman who took our group ticket at the Arc was quintessential rude French. We all had to go in together, a group of 18 plus me, and I made sure that there weren't any other people mixed in, so by the time I got back to the front of the line, I arrived at the entrance at the same time as a student. The woman spoke to him, but then saw it was a school group and started yelling at him, "Where is your chaperone?" Of course, he had no idea what she was saying, but I raised my hand and said, "I'm right here." (all this is in French, by the way) So she said, "Well you need to be at the front of your group." So I said, "Yes, well this student inadvertently stepped in front of me." So she says all miffed, "You should pay better attention." Ugh. What I really wanted to say was "It's people like you who give your entire population a bad rep!!" But I didn't. I just proceeded up the 284 steps. I must say, I did tell the students that while this is the only exercise I do all year, most of them play Varsity sports, and yet they were huffing and puffing all the way up! The views from the top were spectacular especially since today was another sunny and gorgeous day. Once we got back on the Champs, they had an hour and half to wander into all the shops. Favorites included H&M, Mercedes and Peugeot show rooms, Lacoste, and the crepe stand!

After school, Fabienne and I went to a restaurant near the school for dinner. I had eggplant something with salad and fried ham. It was so good. Then we went to a bar near the Opera House to hear a band play and meet up with some of Fabienne's friends. The band was called Calamity Jeanne. Like Calamity Jane, but Frenchified. The band consisted of one electric guitar, a guy on percussion, and a singer. We ended up finding out the drummer and singer are married and the sister of the drummer was an old friend of the friend of Fabienne. Whatever. Anyway, suddenly I was like connected to the band. Best part of that was the sister/sister-in-law brought her three year old to see her aunt and uncle perform. Meanwhile, she was pregnant with twins and in a bar!! So, pregnant, and toddler in tow, surrounded by smoke, alcohol, and a crowd of people. We left there at about 11, came home, and now I've got to go to sleep because I take the kids to Montmartre tomorrow at 8:15.

1 comment:

  1. wow. and I thought my day was hectic and busy! I am going to bed soon after reading all that. Most interesting and a great report on your latest shananigans! Having just been at Muses last night and getting a coveted shoe, the photo of the shoe caught my eye and I felt sorry for any woman who sought to wear such an uncomfortable looking thing. All the pics were great especially the misty Eiffel Tower! Yes, bring back the students stand when you come into the room practice. I think we are ready for the pendulum to swing back to the old days! Well did no one say that one reason not to go to the US was concern about paying for health care insurance? The band sounded like fun. You are having an action packed trip to Paris. One final question: Didn't you say there were 20 kids on the trip? Have you already lost two? The group ticket to the Arc was only 18? Assuming you have an explanation for that, please continue this really wonderful blog and photo album as your blogging fans demand it! And try not to come home with a bottle of wine and a pack of cigarettes! Love, dad

    ReplyDelete